Sunday, September 14, 2008

First Week Back

The first week of school was probably as busy and hectic as it possibly could be. I definitely saw this coming because of the classes I signed up for, but that didn't make them any less crazy. I know I'm only going to get more homework from now on though, so I just hope I can manage my time wisely enough to keep up with the classes I'm in.

I am seriously considering dropping soccer, as it seems to be more of a waste of time and energy than anything else right now. I went to practice this Wednesday after going to cross country practice, and I could barely move my legs. So basically what happens is I'm too sore to properly sprint for soccer, and then I'm too sore from trying to sprint in soccer to run in cross country very well. Plus, soccer practice is probably twice as long as cross country's and half as productive. We didn't even do anything for the first 45 minutes of soccer practice, because there weren't any fields on the lakefront that were open, so we just kind of stood around. And then the rest of the time, we just did passing drills/half-hearted three-person scrimmages. It's kind of frustrating. I would rather not have any soccer and be able to do nice, long runs on the weekend and properly recover, because in the current situation my legs don't really get any sort of break. If they hadn't both been cancelled, I would have had a cross country meet yesterday and then a soccer game today, which I'm not sure I would have been able to manage. Quite frankly, I would rather just spend all of my time focusing on running. It's not that I don't like soccer, it's just that I don't like it when it coincides with my running.

Today I got up before the crack of dawn to volunteer at the Chicago Half Marathon. It was fun, despite the weather, which was lashing rain. There were between ten and fifteen thousand people there, which was pretty crazy. I helped with the gatorade/water stations at the finish line, which got pretty insane when the majority of the runners were finishing, which also happened to be when the wind and rain started getting more severe. I was so cold that by the time I got home, I noticed my lips were a deep blue! The last time I was that visibly cold was when I went bodyboarding in Ireland, haha.

Today I may see the Dark Knight in Imax with my aunt and uncle from Canada who are in town (who also ran the Half Marathon with my dad), then we are going out to dinner someplace. That's all assuming I get my homework done, which I have quite a bit of...

2 comments:

Lida said...

i got woken up by the half marathon, since i live as close to the lake as possible.
arrggg, i've just been sitting at home ALL DAY LONG. have no ride to go anywhere, but don't want to walk or bike in this weather. I think i'm going to have to though-- i just need to GET OUT OF THE HOUSE.
i think doing soccer and cross country at the same time is too much... i wouldn't even consider it, but that's just me.

Catriona said...

aoifeee
i have a blog now (http://www.thehomette.blogspot.com)

anyway. about the soccer i think that might be a wise decision judging by what you said and i definitely think you should focus on xc!! hows the school side of things?